Friday, July 3, 2009

Success on the most expensive part yet

I'm, like, sorta happy... or something! I test peeled some of the film this morning and the part had obviously cured. When I cut the Mylar™ film free it popped right off exposing a virtually perfect surface! There are still some surface voids in the resin but far fewer than when I first cured the part in the oven on previous failures. The blue peel ply is still intact here and the motor retainer is at bottom:

I decided to peel the blue fabric off before post-curing the part in my convection oven. Once you get it started it peels easily and leaves a very rough surface for bonding high-strength, high-temperature fins:

Now it's into the oven for an hour...

No comments: