Sunday, August 26, 2012

Honey Badger don't give a shit...

[link] ...but I do.  Only about 14 more holes to drill, some fillets to apply, and paint to be sprayed and I'm done with this beast!

And I went though many, many syringes, cups, gloves, and wipes injecting foam into the fin area of this and my DarkStar Extreme Heavy:
I'm glad I'm not a foam addict. One caution on the Public Missiles adjustable volume foam: you have less than 15 seconds to work with this stuff before it expands beyond all utility. Seriously you need to have all your tools and parts ready before parts A and B ever meet. Then you need to mix vigorously for a few seconds and then pour/inject rapidly to even have a shot. Near the end I started drilling funnel tops to my 1/8" injector holes to improve injection accuracy. Let me know if you need any pointers in this area.

Sunday, August 5, 2012

This Frenzy Massive's sorta tall...

I resumed building today, completed the following, and everything's curing in my warm garage:

Frenzy Massive:
  • Designed the EBay sled template in Illustrator, traced and cut that from 1/16" G10, JBWelded brass tubing on the bottom, taped the tubes in place, and threaded into the cavity to cure in line with the 5/32" all-threads.
  • Scuffed up the motor tube, marked the positions of the centering rings, and epoxied all three in place.  I should note that I'm not leaving the aft-most ring free as recommended in the instructions.  I'm confident that my fin mounting methods, in combination with expanding foam, will withstand even a CTI N10000.
Extreme DarkStar [Heavy]:
  • Numbered, sanded, and fit fins into booster slots
  • Inspired by Darrel Kelley's work I cut a comb-like pattern into the fin roots to improve adhesion to the motor tube:
  • Scuffed up all fin tabs
  • Epoxied first pair of fins in place (make that two pair)