Friday, March 25, 2011

Sometimes ya gotta just give up on the video...

I spent a whole bunch o' time since the beginning of March trying to get my new camera's video footage slowed down to look all cool. Ultimately I think that even 60 fps is inadequate to slow a fast rocket down. I punted on all the slow mo and just authored the best video I could here:
Again I only had two flights that day because I was trying out my new 1D mark IV camera. If you have the means I highly recommend it... It is SO choice.
I flew my Polecat Aerospace 4" V2 on a CTI Pro54 491I218 and it kicked ass outa there. Here's a cropped frame grab from the 1280x720x60p video:
I retrieved that perfectly intact about 0.3 miles NW from the launch site. Then I set up my Loc Bullet on an AT J500 Mojave Green and I thank Daryl for setting up the reload for me. As I was setting the flight up I learned that the fella next to me was flying an AT I245 Mojave Green with a camera so we agreed to fly a drag race. It's interesting to note that Daryl provided a longer Aerotech delay that I thought was 14 seconds and I trimmed 2 seconds off that with my delay adjustment tool and AT adapter. In the video you might have noted that the burnout-to-apogee time was actually 15 seconds and the ejection was 5 seconds after that! So AT is now shipping 21-22 second delays? Dunno but that was WAY too long and my CF reinforced Bullet took a bunch of damage. It's probably time to retire that thing and rebuild one more similar to the original BSD design. Here are three frames of the drag race where I get my ass handed to me once again (the keychain video cam is Gorilla-taped to the left side of the Bullet on the right):
I just remembered that KO pushed the button on that sequence so I take only partial credit for setting the camera up. Love those mach diamonds and 10 frames per second helps a bunch! Here are the rest of my shots from that launch as well.

No comments: