Thursday, November 12, 2009

PB2k9: 7.5" Nike Smoke on M1939

For my 2008 birthday present my parents kicked in half of the cost of an Aerotech M1939 motor. They drove all the way out from Cochise, AZ for last year's Plaster Blaster which was almost completely blown out by wind. We made several other attempts to link up in the ensuing year to get that motor flown. Mother Nature cooperated this weekend and, on Sunday, I was finally able to launch the beast. I used my L3 7.5" Nike Smoke as I'd actually built and reinforced it for this particular motor. Here's a liftoff photo:

Some might notice that, much to my chagrin, the shot is clearly back-focused. I'm certain that I had a clean focus lock on the rocket before flight so I'm not sure what went wrong here. In any event you get the idea and I attained just under 10,000' on this impressive flight.
Update: Thanks to Scott Eadie who shot video of the flight. My AVCHD hard disc was full so I had no video documentation until now:

For some reason the Parrot2 altimeter did not record any data so I only have the AltAcc graph and summary:
I dedicated this flight to my parents 'cause they rock! Again Roy and I had to walk north over a mile to get this 50 pound beast back. We were exhausted! I can honestly say that this was THE best launch of my life and I'd like to thank my parents, Frank Hermes, my friend Kristine, and Mother Nature for that!

1 comment:

The EGE said...

Clearly you have awesome parents.